Snowplows Need Room to Groom
As we gear up for another snowy winter, we offer the following:
- Snowplows have limited visibility and drivers cannot see directly behind their trucks (important at intersections).
- Snowplows often throw up snow clouds, reducing visibility on all sides of the truck.
- Distracted driving is dangerous driving. Motorists should not text or talk on cell phones while they are behind the wheel. In fact, texting while driving is illegal in Michigan.
- Motorists should never attempt to pass a moving snowplow on the right. With new wing plow technology, the blade can clear the shoulder and the lane of travel simultaneously. Motorists attempting an illegal pass through a snow cloud on the right and/or shoulder of the road most likely won’t see the plow blade and run the risk of a serious crash.
- During early morning hours, motorists should turn on their lights – increasing visibility.
- Always wear your safety belt and allow extra time to reach your destinations in the winter.
The Crew at Otsego County Road Commission appreciate your cooperation for the safety of everyone!